Skip to main content

#Endsars: South East Governors Ask FG To Look Into Demands Of Youths

 Governors, leaders, and stakeholders in the south-east region of the country have appealed to the Federal Government to look into the demands of youths with the aim of solving them.

The leaders said this during a meeting held on Sunday in Enugu with the presidential delegation led by Professor Ibrahim Gambari, who is the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari.

The meeting included senators, House of Representatives members, traditional, religious, and youth leaders in Enugu and governors led by Chairman of South-East Governors’ Forum, Governor Dave Umahi.

During the meeting which lasted for several hours, the governors and leaders appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to consider the various demands of stakeholders of the region for its development, peace, and security.

“We, therefore, request the President to look into the demands of various groups and youths as presented today with a view to solving them.

“South-East people believe in one Nigeria and this is the reason we are in every part of this country erecting infrastructures and doing our businesses,” Umahi said.

The Inspector-General of Police, Muhammed Adamu; Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed, and a host of other Federal Executive Council members were also at the meeting.

President General of Ohanaeze-Ndigbo, John Nwodo also at the meeting urged the Federal Government to develop the South-East Development Commission and make room to create at least two states in the south-east region.

He also opined that the next president of Nigeria should come from the Southeast region.

“To promote national unity, we urge that the next president of Nigeria should come from the southeast of Nigeria,” he said.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...