Skip to main content

My Dad Is Not Nigeria’s Problem ― Buhari’s Daughter

Zahra Buhari, My dad is not Nigeria’s problem

Following the discovery of undistributed COVID-19 palliatives in warehouses across the country by youths who have continued to loot the items, one of the daughters of the President Muhammadu Buhari, Zahra Buhari-Indimi, has absolved her father from the blame over Nigeria’s problem.

In a post on her Instagram stories on Sunday, she suggested that her father has done her part by distributing the items but others have apparently deprived the people of the benefit.

She said with the discovery, Nigerians now know that the president is not the problem.

“Now that people confirmed that Buhari distributed enough palliatives nationwide, it is clear Buhari is not our problem,” she posted.

Tribune Online reports that Saturday, in particular, was a day of rage as hungry and angry Nigerians stormed government COVID-19 palliative warehouses in different cities to loot goods.

From Abuja FCT, Buruku, Jos Plateau State, Iwo Oyo State, Uyo Akwa Ibom State, Calabar Cross River, Osogbo Osun State to Benin City, Edo State, among others, the youth had a field day stripping stores of their contents despite attempts by security personnel to stop them.

Many were heard wondering aloud in viral videos of the looting why there are so much palliative goods stored away in warehouses in the midst of hunger and starvation.

Some said the items were purchased with taxpayers money, saying that the people have decided to take back what belongs to them.

Some youths were angry that some of the palliatives donated by Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID) found their ways to the private warehouses of politicians including that of the majority leader of the House of Assembly, SOB Agunbiade.

After his warehouse was raided by the rampaging youth, Agunbiade explained that he wanted to distribute them on the occasion of his birthday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...