Skip to main content

#EndSARS protest: Soldiers Didn’t Shoot Any Protester At Lekki Toll Gate — Army

#EndSARS: IGP men hunt NOHE staff over office disagreementAfter one week of silence from the Nigerian Army on the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate, Lagos, it has declared the allegation as unfounded, describing it as the handiwork of mischief makers. Recall that the protest took a violent twist after the alleged Lekki massacre, as hoodlums  hijacked the  opportunity to attack police formations, killing six policemen and destroyed over 40 police formations, including government and civilians properties.
However , the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, Victoria Island, Lagos  where the soldiers were deployed from, exonerated its men from killing any protester. In a statement signed the Acting Deputy Director, 81 Division Army Public Relations , Major Osoba Olaniyi, the division, clarified  that the intervention of the soldiers was on the request of the Lagos State Government. The statement read: “The attention of headquarters 81 Division of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilians protesters were massacred by soldiers at the Lekki Toll plaza. “This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country.
”At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian. “From the onset of the  EndSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army, Lagos was involved.

“However , the decision to call in the Military was taken by the Lagos State Government after a 24-hour curfew was imposed. “This was as  a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.

”The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that Lagos State Government requested for the Military to intervene, in order to restore normalcy . “The intervention of the Military followed all laid down procedures for internal security operations. And all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement , ROE for internal  security operations. “Finally, headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates that  the Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact. “This allegation is the handwork of mischief  makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army.

”The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation , as there is no iota of truth therein”.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...