Skip to main content

EndSARS: Protesters In New York Want SARS Operatives Sacked




 Hundreds of young anti-SARS protesters on Sunday stormed the Nigeria House in New York demanding transparency in the disbandment of the police unit back home.

The protesters said operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad found wanting should be sacked and not redeployed.

Among them was Stephen “Papi” Ojo, the artist, model, and choreographer who stole the show as the ‘blue-guy’ in Beyoncé’s “Already” music video.

The protest started shortly after the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, announced the dissolution of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

Adamu also announced plans for a new arrangement to address anticipated policing gaps following the disbandment, and the constitution of an investigative team to probe the alleged cases of rights violations, among others.

But the protesters, who bore placards with different inscriptions including, “We no want audio ban”, said they were not buying it.


They argued that previous commitments announced by the force to change the behaviour of SARS operatives and other personnel had no effect.

“We are not buying that because they told us in 2017 that SARS had been banned from a lot of things, but they continued,” said Miss Omobolanle Adams, of the protest organisers.

“We don’t want back-door politics, we don’t want back-door negotiations.

“We want President Muhammadu Buhari to speak directly to us. We want justice for people that were murdered, raped, and assaulted.

“We want the SARS operatives responsible brought to book and at the end of the day, we don’t want them redeployed to other units. We want them gone,” she said.

In a series of tweets on Friday, the president assured Nigerians of his determination to end police brutality and bring “erring personnel to justice”.

Buhari said his administration’s “determination to reform the police should never be in doubt”, and sued for calm. 

He blamed the bad reputation of SARS on some bad apples, noting that most police officers were committed to protecting Nigerians.

Another leader of the protest, Peter Johnson, reiterated that there was no transparency in the reported dissolution of the outfit.

“They gave us a very generic message. I, personally, feel like we need to see actual results.

“We need to see a plan of where the operatives are going, because people are still going to die,” he said.

Addressing other protesters, ‘Papi’ Ojo said he relocated to the US at the age of 11, and was afraid to visit home because he had lost two uncles to SARS.

However, the 23-year-old said the unity and courage displayed by Nigerians in the protest had given him strength to return and make a change.

“As I speak, I am still afraid, but I can’t keep living in fear anymore because I have relations back home calling me to help.

“So, I am begging everyone here that is afraid like me to stand up and help in whatever way we can to effect the desired change back home,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that some of the protesters took turns to narrate their personal experiences or those of their family members in the hands of SARS.

Being Sunday, the consulate was closed and no official was around to address the protesters.

The Consul General of Nigeria in New York, Mr Benaoyagha Okoyen, did not answer the phone when NAN called to get his comments.

He had also not replied text messages sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...

Notorious Fulani Boys Killing Farmers In Edo Forest Caught & Their Confession

Notorious Fulani Boys Killing Farmers In Edo Forest Caught And Their Confession Will Shock U. Video Below:

Looted COVID Palliatives Were Meant For Special Vulnerable Group – Kwara Govt

  The state government in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Communications, Harriet Afolabi-Oshatimehin, on Friday, said the items were meant for the poor and a special group of vulnerable people. The Commissioner said further that CACOVID and the state government on September 23rd flagged off the distribution of the palliatives and had distributed the majority of the palliatives to the identified vulnerable households in 15 of the 16 local government areas of the state. “The remaining palliatives in the terminal, which the hoodlums preyed on until chased away by security agencies, were meant for special vulnerable groups and just one local government where names of the beneficiaries have just been delivered and officials have started distributing when the street urchins breached the wall of the facility,” the statement added. Afolabi-Oshatimehin explained that the looted items were meant for specific households, as dictated by CACOVID, and so names had to be properly gene...