Skip to main content

FG Blackmailing Varsity Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU


 The Academic Staff Union of Universities has described the directive stopping the salaries of university employees, who have not enrolled on the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System, as blackmail to weaken workers and make them enroll on the platform.

The Chairman of the University of Port Harcourt Branch of ASUU, Dr Austen Sado, who spoke on Sunday, explained that though some of his colleagues had not been paid salaries since February, the union would not be cowed into enrolling on IPPIS.

Sado, who spoke on the telephone, said, “It (directive to stop salaries) clearly shows that there is something the Federal Government is not telling the people. They are not paying us (some lecturers). So, why are they saying by November?

“What they are doing now is just blackmail and threat to see how they would weaken our members to go and enroll (on IPPIS). People who have not enrolled are not being paid; some people for eight months, some for three, going to four months. I have not been paid salary since July, while some people have not been paid since February.

“They have not paid us because of IPPIS. A few of the people that registered with IPPIS are being paid. But when they pay them, they don’t even get the full complement of their salaries; some of them claim that they get like N50,000, N60,000, and we are talking about senior lecturers and above.

“A professor told me that what he is getting is N100,000 (as monthly salary) and yet they want to put more people into that. But we have resolved that we will not succumb to this blackmail.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...