Skip to main content

Obasanjo Said People Can Mourn Him The Way They Like When He Dies

Former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has said Nigerians can mourn him any way they like after his death, a report by Premium Times said.

Obasanjo, who had taken a swipe at Kashamu after his death, drew criticism to himself as some sections of the country knocked him for his comments. He also asked Nigerians criticising him over his comments on Kashamu to learn from the lives of the deceased and live well.

Kashamu, before his death, was wanted in the United States of America for alleged drug offences but was able to escape extradition from Nigeria to the US to face his trial.

Obasanjo said, “When I was growing up, in our community, when anyone known with bad character died, we usually only mourn him and bury him. No eulogy. No praise-singing.

“There is an English saying that urges us never to talk ill of the dead. But in this case, we are not talking ill of the dead. We are only drawing lessons from the life and history of the dead. I am not gloating over his death. It is sad for anyone to die and we must mourn him. But we must learn from such a passage. There will be bad lessons. There will be good lessons. But we should not just be praise-singing or eulogizing the dead, especially when there is no need to do so.

“We should not cover up bad histories and conducts so that the right lessons can be learnt. As you know, I say my mind as truthfully as I know them and in line with my convictions. People are free to say whatever they want about my comment. I don’t begrudge people for holding opinions on whatever I say or do.

Let people say whatever they like when I transit. Now that I am alive, am I not being abused? Whenever I transit, let people say whatever they know or think about me. Let them say it as it is. What my maker thinks of me is what matters most".



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dorathy flies in a new sexy shot in a private jet

BBN naija favorite TV housemate for the "Lockdown" edition, Dorathy left her fans thinking about her caption "life is for enjoying" as she shared a sexy photo of herself in a private jet.

Ada Jesus dies two days after celebrating birthday

Popular Nigerian Comedienne Ada Jesus has died of kidney failure after two days she marked her birthday. Confirming the news on Wednesday, Harrison Gwamnishu who led group of Nigerians that took Ada Jesus to hospital  comfirmed the sad news this afternoon. His words; “ She is gone.” Recall the popular Comedienne Ada Jesus has been battling kidney failure for a year now. Details will be furthermore provided.

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...