Skip to main content

Buhari Said Boko Haram Fighters Are Mere Scavengers

The President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari has once again dismissed the threat constituted by Boko Haram terrorists in the northeast region. Buhari rode to the presidency in 2015 partly based on a promise to destroy the Islamic sect that has terrorised the restive region since 2009.

And even though his administration significantly diminished the operational capacity of the terrorist group, factions of the group are still able to carry out devastating attacks over the past few years.

This has not stopped Buhari from downplaying the group’s capacity for years after first declaring it ‘technically defeated’ in December 2015. mere

During a meeting with state governors and security chiefs on Tuesday, August 11, 2020, Buhari dispelled the commonly held assumptions that the terrorists possess better weapons than the military, and more money than the government.

His spokesperson, Garba Shehu, in a statement quoted him as describing what’s left of the terrorist group as “mere scavengers desperate for food, raiding shops and markets, and killing innocent persons in the process”.

Despite his dismissal, the president expressed concern about how the terrorists are still able to access weapons despite the fact Nigeria has shut down its land borders with neighbouring countries since 2019.

He promised the governors that service chiefs have strict instructions to rejig the military’s operations, and admitted that Nigeria’s intelligence-gathering must be improved.

“We have said enough on the need for them to rejig their operations. I am glad that there is better synergy and cooperation which are very important,” he said.

Internal security challenges across the country were the main issue discussed at Tuesday’s meeting attended by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, heads of defence, security and intelligence agencies, and members of the Security Committee of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF).

The governors highlighted the problems of poverty, unemployment, trust deficit between the military and civilian populations, and the inflow of small arms into the country.

They also urged Buhari to consider a bail out for security for the states in view of the enormity of the resources they now expend in support of the military and the police.

Buhari said there’s an imminent shipment of military weapons and aircraft from Jordan, China, and the United States that will further boost the nation’s fight against insecurity. He asked Nigerians for patience as the military trains personnel with the new weapons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...