Skip to main content

Why We’re Holding Sunday Igboho’s 12 Aides In Detention – Department Of State Services Tells Court



Despite a court order to produce them today, the Department of State Services has stated that it is holding 12 persons arrested during a midnight raid on the Ibadan home of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, more commonly called Sunday Igboho, because it is still investigating them.

According to the DSS in a detention order it got from a Magistrate Court on July 19 by Justice Mohammed Zubairu, thedefiant secret police stated that the aides were believed to have committed “the offences of treasonable crimes, illegal possession of firearms” among others.

The DSS had on July 1 raided Igboho’s residence in Oyo.

Peter Afunanya, the DSS spokesman, had said the security agency recovered illegal arms including seven AK-47 rifles and thousands of ammunition from Igboho’s house.

The agency also paraded 12 supporters of the activist, saying they allegedly attacked DSS operatives during the raid.

The supporters were subsequently moved to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) where they had been in detention and denied access to lawyers and family members.

Owing to their detention, the suspects had through their lawyer, Pelumi Olajemgbesi, filed an application at the Federal High Court, Abuja asking the court to “inquire into the circumstances constituting grounds of their arrest and detention since July 2, 2021, and where it deems fit admit applicants on bail.”

They also asked for an order “mandating and compelling the respondents to produce the applicants before this honourable court and show cause as to why the applicants should not be granted bail in accordance with the provisions of section 32 of Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015.”

Ruling on the application on July 23, Obiora Egwatu, the judge, said there was merit in the application.

Consequently, the judge granted all the orders sought and asked the DSS to produce the applicants in court on July 29.

The applicants are Abdulateef Ofeyagbe, Amoda Babatunde, Tajudeen Erinoyen, Diakola Ademola, Abideen Shittu, Jamiu Noah, Ayobami Donald, Adelabe Usman, Oluwapelumi Kunle, Raji Kazeem, Taiwo Opeyemi and Bamidele Sunday.

Despite the order from the Federal High Court, the DSS filed charges bordering on treason, illegal possession of firearms, aiding and abusing persons in illegal possession of firearms against them.

The Court is hereby informed that there is a probable cause to order the remand of the respondents in this matter, aged between 28 and 45 years, arrested at Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo State in remand custody of the Headquarters of the State Security Service located at No 1, Maitama Avenue, Maitama District, Abuja who are reasonably suspected to have committed the offences treasonable crimes, illegal possession of firearms, aiding and abusing persons in illegal possession of firearms contrary to the Penal Code, Firearm Act, LN 32 of 1959 and Robbery and Firearm (Special provisions) Act Cap r11 LFN 2004,” part of the court document obtained by DSS, reads.

Comments

  1. A failed state where the government no longer obeys it's own laws.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...

Notorious Fulani Boys Killing Farmers In Edo Forest Caught & Their Confession

Notorious Fulani Boys Killing Farmers In Edo Forest Caught And Their Confession Will Shock U. Video Below:

Looted COVID Palliatives Were Meant For Special Vulnerable Group – Kwara Govt

  The state government in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Communications, Harriet Afolabi-Oshatimehin, on Friday, said the items were meant for the poor and a special group of vulnerable people. The Commissioner said further that CACOVID and the state government on September 23rd flagged off the distribution of the palliatives and had distributed the majority of the palliatives to the identified vulnerable households in 15 of the 16 local government areas of the state. “The remaining palliatives in the terminal, which the hoodlums preyed on until chased away by security agencies, were meant for special vulnerable groups and just one local government where names of the beneficiaries have just been delivered and officials have started distributing when the street urchins breached the wall of the facility,” the statement added. Afolabi-Oshatimehin explained that the looted items were meant for specific households, as dictated by CACOVID, and so names had to be properly gene...