Skip to main content

How Yoruba Activist, Sunday Igboho Was Arrested With Beninese Passport



 Sunday Adeyemo also known as Sunday Igboho, was arrested in Cotonou, Benin Republic with the country’s passport, SaharaReporters has gathered. A source said Igboho had a Benin Republic passport and was trying to flee to Germany before he was arrested on Monday night by security operatives.

“He was boarding a plane to Germany with his Benin Republic passport to meet his family when he was arrested. Remember his second wife and six of his children live in Germany,”the source said.
The Department of State Services (DSS) had on July 1 raided the residence of Igboho in Ibadan, Oyo State.

Igboho had planned a “Yoruba Nation Rally” in Lagos two days before the raid.

The DSS had raided the residence, killing two people and arresting 12 aides but Igboho escaped.

The agency alleged that Igboho was stockpiling weapons, and subsequently declared him wanted.

The agitator has been on the run since the raid.

The Nigerian government had said the agitator was working at getting a new passport to flee the country for Germany.

The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) had placed a notice for his arrest across Nigerian border.

A source privy to his departure from Nigeria said he had perfected plans to secretly escape from Nigeria through Cotonou and was heading to Germany.

He was, however, nabbed by security operatives in the neighbouring country.

Speaking with SaharaReporters, a source privy to the incident, said, "Sunday Igboho has been arrested in Cotonou. He was arrested about an hour ago.

"He was supposed to travel to Germany through Cotonou this night. He wanted to leave Africa through Cotonou. He was arrested by security operatives in Cotonou.

"They are planning to bring him back to Nigeria."

  SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUL 20, 2021

Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo also known as Sunday Igboho, was arrested in Cotonou, Benin Republic with the country’s passport.

A source said Igboho had a Benin Republic passport and was trying to flee to Germany before he was arrested on Monday night by security operatives.

“He was boarding a plane to Germany with his Benin Republic passport to meet his family when he was arrested. Remember his second wife and six of his children live in Germany,” the source said.

The Department of State Services (DSS) had on July 1 raided the residence of Igboho in Ibadan, Oyo State.

Igboho had planned a “Yoruba Nation Rally” in Lagos two days before the raid.

The DSS had raided the residence, killing two people and arresting 12 aides but Igboho escaped

The agency alleged that Igboho was stockpiling weapons, and subsequently declared him wanted.

The agitator has been on the run since the raid.

The Nigerian government had said the agitator was working at getting a new passport to flee the country for Germany.

The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) had placed a notice for his arrest across Nigerian borders.

A source privy to his departure from Nigeria said he had perfected plans to secretly escape from Nigeria through Cotonou and was heading to Germany.

He was, however, nabbed by security operatives in the neighbouring country.

 a source privy to the incident, said, "Sunday Igboho has been arrested in Cotonou. He was arrested about an hour ago.


"He was supposed to travel to Germany through Cotonou this night. He wanted to leave Africa through Cotonou. He was arrested by security operatives in Cotonou.


"They are planning to bring him back to Nigeria."

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...