Skip to main content

Despite Attack On Igboho's Home, Lagos Mega Rally Will Hold As Planned

 


Olayomi Koiki, spokesman for popular Yoruba freedom fighter, Sunday Adeyemo (Igboho), has said the attack by suspected soldiers on Igboho's house will not stop the mega rally slated for Saturday in Lagos State.

Koiki, who appeared in a Facebook live video on Thursday morning, said the agitators knew there would be an attack of such but would not be deterred or discouraged from continuing with the forthcoming rally. 

He said, “We knew something of this nature was going to happen but the rally will still go on as planned. This will not stop or discourage us. Lagos Mega rally will hold as planned."

The spokesman had earlier alleged that the military men, who attacked the house killed two people while others were taken away. 

He also said the building and cars in the premises were damaged but noted that Chief Sunday Igboho was safe. He, however, did not disclose his location.

He said, “The situation now is very bad. Two Yoruba sons have been killed in the house of Chief Sunday Igboho. The two dead bodies have been taken away by the military. We do not know of the location where they were taken to.

I can confirm that those who came are definitely Nigerian soldiers. There are more than 100 soldiers that came.”

 It was gathered that the attackers unleashed mayhem on the activist’s house in the Soka area of the city as early as 1 am.

At least 10 vehicles belonging to Igboho, including his G-wagon, Prado SUVs, and valuable properties, furniture, and windows were destroyed.

Bullet holes riddled the buildings in the compound while bloodstains were seen on the premises by our correspondent.

An eyewitness said, “They were all soldiers, military men. They came in vans and Hummer buses. They abducted his wife and others. They killed two people.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...