Skip to main content

NAFDAC raises the alarm on fake COVID-19 vaccines


 The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control on Sunday warned Nigerians to be wary of fake COVID – 19 vaccines in the country.

The organisation also warned Nigerians to “refrain from procuring the vaccine online to avoid falling into the wrong hands of merchants of death.”

The agency warned Nigerians to be vigilant and expose anyone who might want to divert COVID-19 vaccines donated by international donors for profiteering.The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye, issued the warning in a statement by its Resident Media Consultant, Sayo Akintola.


She said, “The public must be on the lookout for these spurious and counterfeit vaccines and other regulated products”, she warned.

No fewer than 5,000 health personnel in the Federal Capital Territory will receive the COVID-19 vaccines on Monday (today) and Tuesday.The frontline workers would be given the jabs at the Asokoro District Hospital, Abuja, where the vaccination would be inaugurated by the FCT Minister, Mohammed Bello.

Disclosing this to our correspondent on the telephone on Saturday, the acting Secretary, Health and Human Services Secretariat, Dr Mohammed Kawu, explained that other categories of residents would be vaccinated subsequently.

Kawu said, “By Monday, we start with health workers only; we would take all the heath workers Monday, Tuesday or so; whether you are private, whether you are public. After that we would announced the next group.  In FCT public hospitals, we have about 5,000 workers but we are collating, we have not got the number of health workers in the private hospitals.”

He further said other individuals would be directed to any of the 65 vaccination points across the six area councils in the FCT for their jabs.

There are 25 vaccination centres in the Abuja Municipal Area Council, 10 in Bwari, 10 in Gwagwalada, eight in Kuje, seven in Kwali and five in Abaji area council.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

937 People Killed In Attacks In Kaduna In 2020

At least 937 people died in violent attacks and mass atrocities in Kaduna State last year, an annual security report by the state government has shown. The report released Wednesday attributed the deaths to kidnappings, banditry and other criminal activities that cut “across all ethnic and religious groups” in Kaduna State. “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions,’’ Samuel Aruwan, the state’s commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said while presenting the report. In his presentation, Mr Aruwan said that of the 937 killed, Igabi Local Government Area recorded the highest number of casualties (152), followed by Kajuru Local Government Area with 144 casualties. He added that Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun local governments in Kaduna central accounted for about 50 per cent (or 468 deaths) of the entire fatalities in the state. Meanwhile, 286 died in Kaduna South from the viole...

Amazon To Open African Headquarters In South Africa

Amazon has concluded plans to open its African headquarters in South Africa with a real estate investment of over R4 billion. Authorities in Cape Town said Amazon would be occupying a new development in River Club, a prime section of the city, local media reported. The 15-hectare parcel of land will cost R4 billion and include two precincts. Authorities said the first precinct of 60,000sqm would occupy different layers of development, while the second section of 70,000 will hold Amazon headquarters in Africa. "US retail giant, Amazon, will be the anchor tenant, opening a base of operations on the African continent," Cape Town city officials said in a statement. "The development is envisaged to take place in phases, with construction set to take place over three to five years." Over 5,000 direct construction jobs and 19,000 indirect jobs are expected to be created due to the move, Business Tech reported. Amazon has had its web engineering giant AWS in South Africa fo...

$114.28m COVID-19 loan: SERAP asks World Bank to make Nigeria ‘publicly commit to transparency’

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the World Bank President Mr David Malpass, urging him to use his “good offices to encourage the Federal Government and 36 state governments to publicly commit to transparency and accountability in the spending of the $114.28m credit and grant for COVID-19, which the Bank’s Board of Directors recently approved for Nigeria, including by publishing details on a dedicated websit". SERAP also urged Mr Malpass to “put pressure on authorities and the 36 state governors to accept voluntary scrutiny by Nigerians and civil society regarding the spending of the funds and use of the resources, including on how they will spend the money to buy medical equipment, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene" The World Bank Board of Directors last Friday approved a $114.28 financing “to help Nigeria prevent, detect and respond to the threat posed by COVID-19 with a specific focus on state level...