Skip to main content

Judge Pardons Rapist After Conviction

A judge of the Ekiti State High Court, Ado-Ekiti, on Wednesday, granted pardon to a rapist, Dennis Kiyede, just after he convicted him for raping a 16-year-old girl.

John Adeyeye, the judge, said he pardoned Mr Kiyede because of his ill health.

The accused was being prosecuted by the police on a one-count-charge of rape of his 16-year-old cousin.

In his judgment, Mr Adeyeye noted that the prosecution had established that the offence of rape was committed by the accused person.

“I find him guilty of the offence as charged and he is accordingly convicted,” he said.

The judge, however, went on to pardon the convicted man, citing health reasons.

“It is obvious that the accused is very ill as he could no longer stand on his feet,” the judge said.

“The accused person, who has been in custody since he was arrested, must have learnt his lessons.

“In the circumstances, the accused person is hereby cautioned and discharged.”

According to the charge sheet, the offence was committed on or about the February 14, 2019 at Ilupeju, Ijan Ekiti, when the convict raped his 16-year-old cousin, who lived with him.

The prosecution held that the offence violated section 31(2) of the Childs Rights Law, Cap. C7, Laws of Ekiti State of Nigeria, 2005.

To prove his case, the prosecutor, Felix Awoniyi, called two witnesses while the accused confessional statement was also tendered as exhibit.

The accused spoke through a counsel from Legal Aid Council, Yinka Opaleke, who during allocutus pleaded passionately with the court for clemency, describing the accused as a first offender.

Mr Opaleke added that the accused had been in the police custody since he was arrested and above all, was seriously ill and could no longer stand on his feet.

The Kayode Fayemi administration had, since its inception, launched a crackdown on rape, particularly of minors in the state.

It also adopted a naming and shaming policy which requires anyone convicted of rape today be publicly humiliated in addition to the conviction by the courts.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EndSARS: Protesters In New York Want SARS Operatives Sacked

 Hundreds of young anti-SARS protesters on Sunday stormed the Nigeria House in New York demanding transparency in the disbandment of the police unit back home. The protesters said operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad found wanting should be sacked and not redeployed. Among them was Stephen “Papi” Ojo, the artist, model, and choreographer who stole the show as the ‘blue-guy’ in Beyoncé’s “Already” music video. The protest started shortly after the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, announced the dissolution of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad. Adamu also announced plans for a new arrangement to address anticipated policing gaps following the disbandment, and the constitution of an investigative team to probe the alleged cases of rights violations, among others. But the protesters, who bore placards with different inscriptions including, “We no want audio ban”, said they were not buying it. They argued that previous commitments announced by the force to change...

Police Panel Submits ‘Damning Report’ On Disgraced DCP, Abba Kyari

The  Special Investigation Panel set up by the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, to probe the former Head, Intelligence Response Team, Abba Kyari, a suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, has submitted its report. The four-man panel headed by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of the Force Criminal Investigations Department, Joseph Egbunike, submitted its findings to the IG on Monday. Information from a reliable source states that the panel submitted ‘damning findings’ in its report, although the DCP continued to prove innocence in the face of the accusations.  The source had yet to reveal further details of the report. The United States Attorney’s Office, Central District of California, had issued an arrest warrant against Kyari for his alleged links to the suspected fraudster, Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, alias Hushpuppi, who is standing trial for various offences that include internet fraud and money laundering. Hushpuppi has since pleaded guilty to the char...

Gov. Dave Umahi Arrests Journalist Over Facebook Post

Ebonyi State Police have arrested and detained journalist  Godfrey Chikwere  on the orders of the state governor David Umahi over Facebook posts. The journalist was arrested by the police during the weekend following a petition by the government accusing him of “hate speech, incisive publication and cyberbullying.” “I write to inform your esteemed office as follows: That on the 8th day of October, 2021 at about 14:44 hours, one Godfrey Chikwere with phone number 080615707** did publish fake news and incisive post on Facebook profile called Godfrey Chikwere and other media platforms and stated as follows: Nigerian Army is seriously and willingly losing respect. “That on the same 8th of October, 2021, Godfrey Chikwere in the Facebook profile made a dangerous and disturbing publication and stated as follows: ‘They (politicians) can pay a youth to murder a perceived political enemy but they can’t give such youth money to start a business.’ “That this false, fake and incisive publi...